|A tribute to "The Polly," in Mosquero, New Mexico. |
The Polly was a passenger car hitched to the end of coal drags on the Dawson Line.
It was a slow way to get to Tucumcari, but people had an odd affection for the old car.
(Sixgun Siding) The Dawson Line (or Dawson Branch or Roy Branch), was a Southern Pacific Railroad line that went from Tucumcari, New Mexico to the coal mining town of Dawson, New Mexico. The line was built by the El Paso & Northeastern Railroad System which later became The El Paso & Southwestern Railroad, before being absorbed by the Southern Pacific.
Traffic, being mostly coal trains, was slow-going, and train crews were known to pack their rifles and fishing rods with them for diversion at sidings. As slow as it was, it gave Dawsonites the opportunity to travel anywhere a train went in the United States.
The town of Dawson, its mines, and railroad were abandoned in the early 1950's.